11/27/2013

The Giver- Spoilers- finished

I'm not going to use a prompt because I don't think I need one for this.

So I found out what the deal is with being released, and I am not happy at all with it. I can't say i'm that surprised though, but it does leave you wondering what they do with the bodies? They obviously don't bury them, there would be a cemetery or something, but there is no reason to think they burn or don't burn them either. They clearly don't just dump them in the woods to rot away because Jonas never came across any skeletons when he was riding away. Perhaps it's just a plot hole that Lois Lowry covers up in another one of the books.

I also still wonder why they didn't want people to see colors though, I may have missed it if it was explained but still, I don't really understand why it would be of that much importance. Sure, people could see different things out of different colors, but unless they don't want people to think at all differently (though I wouldn't put it past them) I think it's just silly. Unless it's because some colors can evoke emotions, and they obviously don't want people to feeling those. Tough you'd think the pills would deal with that mostly though, so they wouldn't need to make people colorblind. The pills obviously stop sexual attraction mostly, to keep the population under control, but I think they might also stop them from loving each other. Perhaps this is why Jonas stopped taking them, because he felt that they where just wrong.

The other thing I didn't like was that the ending isn't definite. It isn't as "WHAT?! HOW DARE IT END THERE! WHAT HAPPENED??!" the way "The Lady and The Tiger" or The Mark of Athena, it just sort of a "....wait what? What happened....? Are you kidding me?!" sort of reaction. I have a bad feeling they end up dead from cold and starvation but perhaps there really was a house with lights at the bottom of the hill. Perhaps some people do live outside of the communities, other people who have escaped and made families and little villages. That would be nice.


1 comment:

  1. I thought it was really cool (and unique) that you decided to 'break the rule' and write without a prompt, because sometimes I feel like not using one either and just giving my unadulterated, without having to follow a specific guideline. You asked a lot of questions, and I thought that made your blog more interesting to read. Would you read a sequel to The Giver to answer some of those questions?

    ReplyDelete

Any feedback, questions, or suggestions welcome!