2/19/2015

The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time 2-19-15, pages 1-26

I really like the way Christopher speaks. He explains everything, like why certain things mean what to him and why he doesn't like metaphors because as a picture they don't look the same as what they mean. "And when I try to make a picture of the phrase in my head it just confuses me because imagining an apple in someone's eye doesn't have anything to do with liking someone a lot and it makes you forget what the person was talking about." However, he does like similes, because they, unlike metaphors, do look like what they mean, so that it's a thing you can picture. "this is not a metaphor, it is a simile, which means that it really did look like there were two very small mice hiding in his nostrils, and if you make a picture in your head of a man with two very smal mice hiding in his nostrils, you will know what the police inspector looked like. And a simile is not a lie, unless it is a bad simile." The way he thinks and the way he understands things just makes perfect sense. I also like the way there are pictures of what he's explaining, and he compares things a lot when he talks, which is something I do as well. Sort of a ramble, in a way that gets somewhat away from the point while still explaining said point at the same time. He also writes in long sentences, which is a thing that I also do. I find it very easy to read so far probably just because of that actually.

As part of the reader I like how you get a pretty solid sense of Christopher as a character really early. It doesn't take that long for him to have a definite personality, and as someone who also writes I'm kind of surprised because normally it takes a little longer for characters to fully form as a person in a story. It's just kinda cool.

Anyway Christopher findes that his neighbor's neighbor's dog has been murdered. The next day is a good day, so he decides that he's going to solve the murder.

2 comments:

  1. Emily,

    I really like how you talked about the character Christopher, and what you like about him. I also found it really interesting later on when you said "As part of the reader..." and then later shared your thoughts. Overall, good blog post, but next time you should probably put the prompt you followed through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily,
    I really enjoyed your blog this week! I think Christopher sounds like a very interesting character, and it's really awesome that you already have a sense of who he is after only 26 pages! I like how you talked about how he like similes but not metaphors, and it's interesting how he thinks about the two types of figurative language. I also like how you included direct quotes for examples of why he like or dislikes each. If I were to have one critique, it would be to mention your prompt, so I know what you're specifically writing about! Though, overall, your blog was excellent!

    ReplyDelete

Any feedback, questions, or suggestions welcome!