2/02/2015

Take The Cannoli 1-20-15 page 1-65

     Now, this is another one of Sarah Vowell's books, but it isn't one based on history, or American History at least as most of her other books are. It is a personal history. Sort of a mish-mosh of stories about things from her life.
For Example: "Shooting Dad" the first title in this collection, is about how she and her dad don't really get along that well for varius reasons. ("About the only thing my father and I agree on is the Contitution, though I'm partial to the First Amendment, while he's always favored the Second.", "I am a gunsmith's daughter.", "All he ever cared about were guns. All I ever cared about was art.") She goes into all of this background about thier relationship, and ends up with a story about his home made fully functioning replica of a 19th century canon called "the Big Horn Gun"that he built from scratch. Despite her stance on guns and her personal dislike for them she decides to go with him to a forest preserve to light it off. She recorded the event for her local radio show, and was facinated by the sound levels that her recorder got from the canon going off. "The delicate needles which keep trach of the sound quality lurch into the bad, red zone so fast and so hard I'm surprised they don't break." It's there that she realizes how similare they are, after a hiker compliments her recording equitment. "My Dad and I are the same person. We're both smart-alecky loners with goofy projects and wierd equitment."

The second story is the about lessons she learned in marching band, such as how the band kids and the orchestra kids only truley unite through the unified disdane for the chorus, and how the only instrument she could play gracefully was the recorder; "which was already on it's way out of fashion during the lifetime of J. S. Bach." 
It's rather humorus.

The next one was about the Apocolypse and had a bunch of bible references I didn't get because I haven't read it yet so I had to skip it.
Same with the one the book is named after which came after the Apocolypse, which is centered around The Godfather which I've never seen and is probably still innapropriate for me to see.

I'll come back to these parts in a few years(the Apacolypse one sooner since I'm probably going to a Catholic highschool,) and read them, because there's no point in reading something that I'm not gonna get.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any feedback, questions, or suggestions welcome!