1/15/2015

Film vs Novel 1-15-15

- What do you think is the most important difference between the written and filmed version? Provide evidence with specific details.

Okay so since I was not at school on monday I missed the entire trial scene and then some. However I asked around and what really bothered me was that:
A- Calpernia was hardly a character in the film the way she was in the book, and
B- That they didn't have the scene where the kids to go Calpernia's church.
I did expect a downplay in the role of the black chaacter just because of the time period it was made in (to think the screenplay writer wrote out the colored people in a book-to-movie with a focus on racism) but that doesn't make me any less annoyed with it.

What really bothered me about the fact that they got rid of Aunt Alexandra in the movie is that it took away how Cal bonded more with Scout. To my knowladge, Scout and Cal's relationship didn't really exist to the extent that it did in the book; which is really dissapointing. I understand that they had to cut out some parts to make room for others but still, relationship development between characters is an importent thing to have. 

The significance to me of having the scene in the church in the book, is that the reader understands Maycomb's black comunity better and how much they respect Atticus and his children. It's also a strong point in Scout's learning about them because she learns about the way they sing hyms and how not all fo them can read. The reader is also made aware of how dedicated the comunity is to their word. The Reverend told Helen Robinson that he would gather ten dollars for her, and he doesn't let them leave until he has collected as much. I respect people like that. 

I did like the movie. Being able to pick out the lines that were taken strait from the book is fun.


2 comments:

  1. Great blog! I also felt disappointed that Calpurnia wasn't a signifiant character in the movie as she was in the book. But I think the movie was still good. Anyway, it was really interesting reading your opinions on the movie vs the novel. Overall I think you did a good job, and it's always fascinating reading what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of people were disappointed that Cal was not in the movie as much as in the book. I agree with that, but of course, movies are never like the book. Also, how you brought up the black community and how it shapes the book was a very good observation. Good blog post, Emily. :)

    ReplyDelete

Any feedback, questions, or suggestions welcome!