5/14/2014

Allegiant- Finished 5-12-14 *Spoilers*

Wow.

I'm just going to start off by saying, that ended way better than I expecting it to. I thought their plan would backfire completely to be honest, but then there'd probably be a fourth book. I am a bit upset that Tris died, but lets be realistic, she probably would have had some sort of horrible crippling illness for the rest of her life from the death serum anyway if she hadn't gotten shot.
"Also I know, I just know, I can survive this."

Something I really liked is that you get more character/relationship development for pretty much everyone. Peter in that scene with Tobias really kind of stuck out to me because he knows somethings wrong with him and he doesn't like it. It really sort of shows the reader more about him so he's not this plastic jerk who has no loyalties and only really cares about himself.(Though in the world he's in I don't blame him. He does have to look out for himself, and with people dying left and right why would you want to make friends? It wouldn't be worth loosing them.) It gave him a lot more depth I think.
"'I want the serum because I'm sick of being this way." he says. "I'm sick of doing bad things and liking it and then wondering whats wrong with me. I want it to be over. I want to start again."'

The relationship development I really liked was Tobias and Evelyn. I'm just so glad that he gets to have some sort of family still after everything since Tris died. I knew Marcus was a lost cause and that his relation ship with him was never going to be fixed, and to be honest if Evelyn hadn't agreed to the terms there wasn't enough pages left for something else to be figured out. Sure, there could be another battle and Tobias could have died as well -thus cutting everything short- but people wouldn't be happy with that. They would want to know what happened to everyone and if the mission was successful. Or the epilogue would be a third person and/or omniscient telling what happened after, but to be honest the ending it has is heartfelt and probably the best outcome there could have been for something like this. 
"I can't move. I can't speak. She chose me. She chose me."

Overall with the series... I didn't exactly enjoy it as much as a sort of tolerated it I guess you could say...? I liked the first and last books a lot better than the second, but the first is the best over all. I just think it's because of all of the stuff that happens in the second kind of bogs it down for me. It's just too depressing and serious with whats going on. It's like "Oh yay Jeanine's gone whoopee time to cele- oh great the EXACT SAME BAD KIND OF SITUATION THERE WAS BEFORE IN DIFFERENT CONTEXT HOW FREAKING LOVELY."
I mean props to Veronica it takes courage to write up a cliff hanger like that but... that doesn't really mean I as the reader have to be happy about it. As a writer it's just sort of giggling while imagining the look on your fandom's face when they have to wait another year or so for what happens next. Kind of like when you kill off a character or plan a horrible plot twist. It's just fun. Horrible, horrible, emotionally twisted fun; but fun nonetheless.

4 comments:

  1. Love the gif on your blog! Anyway, I loved the blog this week , Tell me, if you could be in your book, what other character from a seperate book would you want to be there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm... interesting question.... Maybe Luna Lovegood or Rachel Dare. Luna's just interesting and witty and Rachel's spunky and adventurous. Interesting traits for interesting companions.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely loved this book, Em. Honestly it played with my heart more than any other book. I guess I simply had this real big attachment to Tobias and Tris, not your average love story. ( I preferred this MUUUCCHHH OVVERR the Hunger Games.) I don't know, I just, I'm not sure. I feel that I disagree, just a bit, with you on your Peter point. I feel that when living in a situation like the characters of the series having somebody to care about makes you stronger. Reason being is that you know you have something to lose, something you don't want to ever lose, so you protect it. I don't know, honestly, I'm just so attached to the characters. (CONFESSION: I cried when I finished the book.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do get your point, it's just like some people would shelter themselves in that situation in order to keep them from getting hurt. Some people do it regardless.

      Delete

Any feedback, questions, or suggestions welcome!