5/01/2014

Lack Of


You tell me to do what makes me happy, but then yell at me when what I want to do isn’t what you want me too.
This so called “parenting” is nothing but a cage
I don’t want to go to school and learn formulas I’ll never need
I don’t want to go to the house and be lectured about how to run the family business

I don’t really know what I want to do
But I also don’t want it forced upon me
Kick me out if my lack of plans
my lack of drive
my lack of obedience
my lack of similarity to you
is the bane of your existence

I don’t care.

I’d gladly have nothing to do with you
Don’t act like you don’t think the same
I’ll be fine on my own and I’ll travel the world
I won’t have a care and I’ll study free
Just let me be


I found this today in a box full of dust
Just to let you know
Just to ease your mind
I turned out just fine
Sure, I lived fast and I died young but I did what I wanted and thats all that mattered to me in the end

You never really got the chance to understand, did you?
Of course not, you were to sheltered by what you wanted for me to see what I wanted for myself
I may not have been the best daughter
I may not have been the best mother
I may not have been the best at anything I did
but what matters is that I’m okay with that

You never agreed you never understood
I never told you things until much too late because they just never occurred to me.
Your granddaughter is proof enough of that

You tried to give me shame for my choices, but there are things that I just couldn’t tell you
things that you just needn't know
I have my reasons
and my lack of
But I did what I wanted and I’m happy with that

2 comments:

  1. Based on this poem of yours... I can tell your angry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I wasn't angry I was writing from the POV of a character who just didn't like her parents because they forced their ideals onto her without thinking of what she ever wanted. The italics are a poem she wrote, the normal is her reflecting/responding to the poem about 19 years later.

      Delete

Any feedback, questions, or suggestions welcome!