4/10/2014

Insurgent Finished *Possible Spoilers* 4-10-14


What emotions did you feel while you read? Give details from your reading
that made you feel that way.

Well I have a rather up and down relationship with distopian fiction at the moment.  Divergent I liked because it showed how the factions as a whole worked and how things were done. We got to see how it cascaded into anarchy after the first simulation. That I thought was interesting. But now we have to see what they do to fix everything and how none of this is over even though Jeanine is dead. It just goes on and on when it could just be a sort of cliffhanger like the movie; which wasn't made in a way that they could do the other two books. I have a feeling what this says about me is I like to see the downfall of a society, I just don't like watching the cleanup. You get attached to these characters and then they just die like that and your just sort of like seriously you just had to do that. 

Eventually you just form a thick emotional barrier that keeps you from actually getting emotionally attached to them. Then they die and your just like "oh okay that happened." Like when Al died in Divergent I was really upset. "I feel it with every thump of my heart. It's Al." But in Insurgent when Marleen died I just sort of took it as a fact. "But I can see Marleen's faint outline on the pavement." Once you've read through so many character deaths, it really just doesn't mean anything anymore to the person reading it. Then it just sort of  gives us a thick skin to death in general. 

In the actual story of Insurgent specifically when Tris decided to sacrifice herself because she's divergent to stop the simulation suicides, she lied to Tobias. This I was not okay with at all. They easily could have just gone together, or once they had made a plan they would include busting her out when they infiltrated the Erudite systems. My complaint is mostly that there were much better ways for her to go about surrendering herself that wouldn't have hindered her relationship with Tobias. "I will not let Tobias go to Erudite when it happens again, when someone else dies."





No comments:

Post a Comment

Any feedback, questions, or suggestions welcome!