10/30/2014

CoA Narrative: The Violet Widow; a Tale of Betrayal and Unrequited Love







It is dark here for with no torch I can scarcely see. After a long, disappointingly quiet walk I make it to the entrance of my family's catacombs. The long winding staircase saw only me, for my friend, unfortunately for him, would walk up them no longer.


I'm sure he knows now what he has done. I pretended I would allow it. Pretended that the confession of her love to him did not upset me. It did, however. It pained me like a thousand knives stuck and twisted, poisoning the trust I had for the both of them and anyone else, feeding my anger as if it was oil to a lamp.


It was always supposed to be me. It was practically planned. But no, he had to come along and spoil, akin to rotten fruit. They joined in matrimony soon after telling of their betrayal.


Oh dear sweet Violetta, you brought this upon yourself. You are the only one to blame now. Your sorrow will all be my pleasure.



(Second/Extended Ending)


It has been fifty one days the disappearance of her dear Lord Fortunato. The case has since been closed, and she's lost all hope of his return. I sit in front of the flower that I once owned. She is dawned respectably in black, as I am. She offers me a drink and pours a glass of wine when I comply. She does not drink herself.


We converse briefly about our social circles and how the people we know are faring before we come to the subject of her and her husband. She believes he is dead, much as I expected her to due to her choice of clothing and the Chrysanthemums that adorn the vases around the home.

"You believe that Savio is dead as well I presume?" she asked, eyeing my dress.

"Indeed I do." I replied, noting that I should most likely be quite careful with how I respond.

"What makes you imagine that?"

"Well it isn't quite like him to abandon the people he loves quite so suddenly and lengthily, and we don't have any evidence of capture."

"However no body or evidence of death has been brought up either." she countered, peering coldly at me. I faltered.

"I know you did not take kindly to our romance Montresor, but neither of us meant you any harm or shame from it."

"I do not understand what you mean."

"I went with him to the celebration and saw you lead him away. You dawned a mask of black silk and brought him to you home. Then you returned and he did not. Jealousy is not a healthy thing, nor is it valid reason to murder."

"You are imagining things my dear, I assure you I would never do such a thing." I said with a laugh, playing it all off as if she was simply playing a joke.

"Montresor do you love me?" she asked suddenly.

"Well, yes, I suppose that I do, but this is neither the time or the place; you are presumed a widow now."

"Were you happy for Savio and I on our day of matrimony, or were you angered that I had not chose you?"

"Well I-"

"I can always tell when you are about to fib Montresor," She interjected "I suggest that you choose your words wisely."

I sat silently, wondering how I would manage to change the subject. To my utter misfortune, Violetta found her answer in my sealed lips.

"Do you know why I did not enter into union with you Montresor? It's because you did not truly love me, not even as a person. Savio did. To you I am a prize to be won or lost. If you had loved me my joy from being with Savio would have brought you happiness and content in it's self. However, it brought jealousy and death. If you think my pain will bring you satisfaction you are sadly mistaken."

I bowed my head.

"Rosa!" she called to the servant passing in the hall, "Lord Montresor is going to take his leave now, would you please get him is coat?"



2 comments:

  1. Wow! You did a really good job! I think, it is really creative and you kept my attention the entire time. It almost makes me wish that the story continued so I could keep reading and find out what happens in the end! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, you did an amazing job with this! As Autumn said, it grabbed my attention with the word choice and plot. It was a great continuation of "The Cask of Amontillado" and reminded me of Poe's writing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Any feedback, questions, or suggestions welcome!